Who am I?
- Name: Kristy Barkan
- Email: email@example.com
As SUNY Geneseo's Director of Digital Communications, my responsibilities center on the development and management of a vibrant digital communications program across multiple platforms, including the college website and its social media presence.
My Professional Background
2015 July - Current
Director of Digital Communications
Director of Digital Communications
As SUNY Geneseo's Director of Digital Communications, my responsibilities center on the development and management of a vibrant digital communications program across multiple platforms, including the college website and its social media presence. The position involves much collaboration with senior leadership and campus colleagues to develop strategic content and functionality that engages prospective students, alumni, donors, faculty, staff, current students, and other key audiences in meaningful and productive ways.
In 2016, under my guidance, and in collaboration with the Office of Computing & Information Technology, SUNY Geneseo executed a major website redesign—overhauling its near-10,000 pages and transforming the site into a completely new, mobile-first design. The project was done entirely in-house, built from my design prototypes—and resulted in a visually compelling, mobile-friendly website. In 2017, the same team upgraded the website architecture to the latest, most secure version of Drupal, and we turned our attention to ensuring full incorporation of W3C's WCAG 2.0 standards across all pages to guarantee unhindered access to the site by those with disabilities.
My current focus lies on enhancing organic reach through search engine optimization, streamlining of digital content, identifying technical adjustments to improve the user experience, incorporating new digital tools to better engage with our audience, and capitalizing on our strong social media following to strengthen the connection between the college and its community.
2013 May - 2017 August
2013 - 2017 Content Manager
2014 - July 2015 Project Manager
Managing a team of volunteers, I oversaw all editorial content and organization communications published on the ACM SIGGRAPH website. I directed content updates across the site, which included managing the news section and editorial calendar. In addition to driving the creation of new content, I closely monitored site traffic and engagement, establishing goals and distilling analytics data into comprehensive reports.
As a non-voting member of the executive committee, I coordinated dozens of projects across the organization's 11 standing committees. My responsibilities included project timeline development, volunteer oversight, deliverables management, documentation and reporting.
- Management of the awards program at the annual SIGGRAPH North American conference
- Coordination of affiliate partnership agreements, promotional exchanges and meetings
- Information management for the 15+ sponsored, co-sponsored and in-cooperation small conferences
2010 May - 2015 July
2012 - 2015 Writer, Geek Magazine
2010 - 2015 Writer, Digital Outlets
Writer, Geek Magazine
As a writer for the national print magazine Geek, I covered geek-centric entertainment and technology topics.
Writer, Digital Outlets
My work (which focuses on computer graphics, web design, social media strategy, technology, film and entertainment) has been published by a variety of web outlets that include USA Today, Salon.com, AZ Central, The Houston Chronicle, theNest.com, Social Media Today and ACM SIGGRAPH.
2009 August - 2015 November
Social Media Manager
In 2009, I designed and launched the social networking site VFXG (Visual Media, FX and Games), which grew to ultimately have more than 1,000 members. The purpose of the site was to provide a networking platform for professionals in film, visual effects, games and computer graphics. I also built and managed the social media accounts for VFXG, which included the (still extant) 14,000+ follower Twitter account and a 7,200+ follower Facebook page.
2008 December - 2011 June
Imperial College London
Scientific Visualization (Contracted)
Scientific Visualization Specialist
Contracted by Dr. Sanjeev Gupta, Professor of Sedimentology and
Dr. Jenny Collier, Reader in Marine Geophysics.
- Creation of 3D models and 2D illustrations for research papers and public outreach
- Design of high-resolution Mars exploration website.
- Editing and visual effects for "Exploring the Deep."
- Constraints on the origin & evolution of Iani Chaos, Mars (2011), Journal of Geophys. Res.
- Retreat of a giant cataract in a long-lived Martian outflow channel (2010), Geology
- Late Noachian to Hesperian climate change on Mars (2010), Journal of Geophys. Res.
Academy of Art University
Visual Effects and Animation
M.F.A. Visual Effects + Animation (Computer Graphics)
Course of study provided comprehensive training in computer graphics. M.F.A. defense required proof of proficiency in modeling, texture design, texture mapping, character design, rigging, animation, lighting, compositing, matchmoving, rotoscoping, editing, storyboarding, audio production and greenscreen lighting and extraction.
University at Buffalo
Media Study/Film Production
B.A. Media Study
Course of study included digital communications, web design, web development, graphic design, writing, video production and post, film production and post, photography.
- Cum Laude (awarded for overall GPA: 3.4)
- Magna Cum Laude (awarded for Media Study program GPA: 3.8)
- Overall GPA sufficient to merit placement on Academic Dean’s List 6 of 8 semesters
- Recipient of Arlie Muller Parks Excellence in the Field of Communication Award ’98 (academic scholarship)
Diploma in Social Media Marketing
Course encompassed the effective use of email marketing, affiliate marketing, social media, podcasting and blogging for business.
Association for Computing Machinery (ACM), a professional organization for people who work with computing technology.
Online News Association (ONA), a nonprofit membership organization for digital journalists.
ACM's Special Interest Group on Computer Graphics and Interactive Techniques (ACM SIGGRAPH), a professional organization for people who work with computer graphics.
Eurographics, a Europe-based professional association for people who work with computer graphics.
What I’m best at
Skills & Knowledge
Social Media Management
- Drupal, Wordpress, Adobe Dreamweaver, Google Analytics, Moz Pro, Siteimprove
- Adobe Photoshop, Adobe After Effects, Adobe Premiere
- Atlassian Confluence, Atlassian JIRA
- Sprout Social, Hootsuite
- Microsoft Office, Google Docs
- Autodesk Maya, Blender, Google Sketchup
- Pixologic ZBrush, Maxwell Render
Other Skills & Knowledge
- HTML, CSS
- Web Analytics & SEO
- Web Design
- Social Media Marketing
- Web Accessibility Compliance
- Volunteer Management
- External Relations
- December 2017: 5th Annual Education Digital Marketing Awards/ Merit Award, Responsive Website Redesign (List)
- December 2013: Sharebloc's Top 50 Content Mktg Posts of 2013 / Rank 30 (5 Quick Tips for Engaging Facebook Fans)
- April 2011: Ning Website Design Competition / Top 12 Finalist
- June 2010: London Design Festival 2010 Card Design Contest / Shortlisted
Get in touch
The quickest way to get ahold of me is by email. I can be reached at any of the addresses below or through this contact form.