Who am I?
- Name: Kristy Barkan
- Email: email@example.com
As SUNY Geneseo's Director of Digital Communications, my responsibilities center on the development and management of a vibrant digital communications program across multiple platforms, including the college website and its social media presence.
My Professional Background
2015 July - Present
Director of Digital Communications
As SUNY Geneseo's Director of Digital Communications, my responsibilities center on the development and management of a vibrant digital communications program across multiple platforms, including the college website and its social media presence. The position involves much collaboration with senior leadership and campus colleagues to develop strategic content and functionality that engages alumni, donors, current and prospective students, faculty/staff and other key audiences in meaningful and productive ways.
2013 May - Present
2013 - (NOW) Content Manager
2014 - July 2015 Project Manager
Managing a team of more than 30 volunteers, I oversee the editorial and organization-specific content published on the ACM SIGGRAPH website. I am responsible for the news section, editorial calendar and oversight of all content updates across the site. In addition to driving the creation of new content, I closely monitor site traffic and engagement, establishing goals and distilling analytics data into comprehensive, visual reports.
As a non-voting member of the executive committee, I coordinated dozens of projects across the organization's 11 standing committees. My responsibilities included project timeline development, volunteer oversight, deliverables management, documentation and reporting.
- Management of the awards program at the annual SIGGRAPH North American conference
- Coordination of affiliate partnership agreements, promotional exchanges and meetings
- Information management for the 15+ sponsored, co-sponsored and in-cooperation small conferences
2010 May - Present
2012 - (NOW) Writer, Geek Magazine
2010 - (NOW) Writer, Digital Outlets
Writer, Geek Magazine
As a writer for the national print magazine Geek, I cover geek-centric entertainment and technology topics.
Writer, Digital Outlets
My work (which focuses on computer graphics, web design, social media strategy, technology, film and entertainment) has been published by a variety of web outlets that include USA Today, Salon.com, AZ Central, The Houston Chronicle, theNest.com, Social Media Today and ACM SIGGRAPH.
2009 August - Present
Social Media Manager
In 2009, I designed and launched the social networking site VFXG (Visual Media, FX and Games), which currently has more than 1,000 members. The purpose of the site is to provide a networking platform for professionals in film, visual effects, games and computer graphics. I also manage all of the social media accounts for VFXG, which include a 14,000+ follower Twitter account and a 7,200+ follower Facebook page.
2008 December - 2011 June
Imperial College London
Scientific Visualization (Contracted)
Scientific Visualization Specialist
Contracted by Dr. Sanjeev Gupta, Professor of Sedimentology and
Dr. Jenny Collier, Reader in Marine Geophysics.
- Creation of 3D models and 2D illustrations for research papers and public outreach
- Design of high-resolution Mars exploration website.
- Editing and visual effects for "Exploring the Deep."
- Constraints on the origin & evolution of Iani Chaos, Mars (2011), Journal of Geophys. Res.
- Retreat of a giant cataract in a long-lived Martian outflow channel (2010), Geology
- Late Noachian to Hesperian climate change on Mars (2010), Journal of Geophys. Res.
Diploma in Social Media Marketing
Course encompassed the effective use of email marketing, affiliate marketing, social media, podcasting and blogging for business.
2006 - 2009
Academy of Art University
Visual Effects and Animation
M.F.A. Visual Effects + Animation
Course of study provided comprehensive training in visual effects and animation. M.F.A. defense required proof of proficiency in modeling, texture design, texture mapping, character design, rigging, animation, lighting, compositing, matchmoving, rotoscoping, editing, storyboarding, audio production and greenscreen lighting and extraction.
1998 - 2002
University at Buffalo
Media Study/Film Production
B.A. Media Study
Course of study included web design, graphic design, video production and post, film production and post, photography, film history and digital communications.
- Cum Laude (awarded for overall GPA: 3.4)
- Magna Cum Laude (awarded for Media Study program GPA: 3.8)
- Overall GPA sufficient to merit placement on Academic Dean’s List 6 of 8 semesters
- Recipient of Arlie Muller Parks Excellence in the Field of Communication Award ’98 (academic scholarship)
Online News Association (ONA), a nonprofit membership organization for digital journalists.
Association for Computing Machinery (ACM), a professional organization for people who work with computing technology.
ACM's Special Interest Group on Computer Graphics and Interactive Techniques (ACM SIGGRAPH), a professional organization for people who work with computer graphics.
Eurographics, a Europe-based professional association for people who work with computer graphics.
What I’m best at
Skills & Knowledge
Social Media Management
3D Modeling, Rendering
Graphics, Web Design
- Microsoft Office, Google Docs
- Adobe Photoshop, Adobe After Effects, Adobe Premiere
- Autodesk Maya, Blender, Google Sketchup
- Pixologic ZBrush, Maxwell Render
- Drupal, Wordpress, Adobe Dreamweaver, Google Analytics
- Atlassian Confluence, Atlassian JIRA
- Sprout Social, Hootsuite
Other Skills & Knowledge
- HTML, CSS
- Web Analytics & SEO
- Web Design
- Social Media Strategy
- Information Management
- Volunteer Management
- External Relations
- Sharebloc's Top 50 Content Mktg Posts of 2013 December 2013 / Rank 30 (5 Quick Tips for Engaging Facebook Fans)
- Ning Website Design Competition April 2011 / Top 12 Finalist
- London Design Festival 2010 Card Design Contest June 2010 / Shortlisted
Get in touch
The quickest way to get ahold of me is by email. I can be reached at any of the addresses below or through this contact form.